Friday, April 10, 2009

Brett Dennen


So there's this singer and I'm totally a fan.
Since I've moved to Toronto just about two years ago, I have had the chance to see him 3 times live in concert - twice at the MOD club, once opening for John Mayer.


The latest show at the MOD club, touring with his latest album "Hope For the Hopeless" was the concert that stuck out for him in my mind. He opened his set, surrounded by the smoke of burning incense and kicked off the mood right. When Brett takes the stage you instantly want to run up and give him a hug - that feeling only amplifies when he starts the infamous knee dance (if you've seen him, you know what I'm talking about)


Emotional music is definitely my guilty pleasure, and Brett, you play with my heartstrings. The man is a poet. Brett's lyrics are something I can relate to, and get me thinking, which is refreshing to have in this world.
"With slavery stitched to the fabric of my clothes, chaos and commotion wherever I go, but love I try to follow, love will come set me free..."

"people walking around pushing around their debts, wearing pay cheques like necklaces and bracelets"

"I wondered how so many cou
ld be in so much pain, while others don't seem
to feel a thing? Then I cursed my whiteness and I get so damned depressed. In a world of suffering why should I be so blessed?"


Oh Brett, you have my heart.


Myspace: www.myspace.com/brettdennen
www.brettdennen.net

No comments:

Post a Comment